Here is a great total body workout that can be done over three days. It is designed to work every major and minor body part over three workouts that can be performed one right after another, a day in between or a two on, one off type of system.
While I designed this for that period between Thanksgiving and New Year’s when getting to the gym 6 days a week just does not happen, you can do this workout anytime you need a break from your current routine. I have also used this in the summer over an 8-week period to keep muscle size on and with some dietary and cardio adjustments, to tighten up.
A couple things:
– Rest time between sets is 90 seconds, 2 minutes MAX on the sets of 8 because you want to keep fully oxygenated blood in the muscle.
– I believe in owning core movements since these not only stimulate large muscle groups but small ones as well. Great bodies are not build without benching, pressing and squatting to name a few.
– 3 X 15 means 3 sets of 15 reps.
– Drink water during your workout. You are going to be taxing your body so hydration, even when it is 58 degrees in the gym, is critical.
– Each workout should take about 60 minutes. Keep moving along!
Leg Extensions: 2 x 20
Squats: 15, 12, 10, 8, 8
Leg Extensions: 4 X 10
Leg Curls: 4 X 8
Shrugs: 3 X 10
Calves: 4 X 10
NOTES: NO jerking of reps, keep things moving smooth and NO locking out. If you cannot squat for medical reasons, use the leg press. For calves, I like seated but use the machine you prefer.
Flat Bench Press: 15, 12, 10, 8, 8
Pec Deck Fly’s: 4 X 15
Delt Press: 15, 12, 10, 10
Side Lateral Raise: 3 X 12
Close Grip Bench Press: 15, 12, 10, 8
Standing Triceps Extension: 4 X 10
NOTES: For your “delt press” use a bar, Smith Machine or DB’s. When you do “Pec Deck Fly’s” keep your hands as high up as possible, I like eye level.
Pull Ups: 4 X 10
Close Grip Seated Rows: 4 X 12
Straight Bar Curls: 15, 12, 10, 8, 8
Standing Alternating DB Curls: 4 X 12
Deadlift: 15, 12, 10, 10, 8
Calves: 4 X 8
NOTES: When you do your pull ups, vary the width of your grip. For “Straight Bar Curls” you can use a straight bar or an EZ curl bar. I also mix in the Preacher Curl.
I did not include cardio and abs as I will leave that up to you. I would suggest doing cardio and abs on the days you do not train. It is easy to grab cardio early in the morning or later in the evening depending on your schedule.
Any questions or comments please shoot me an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. I love talking training and nutrition and I answer EVERY e-mail.